Sunday, February 14, 2010

It's all good....even when it is not....

I have to thank my good friend Keith for that bit of wisdom.

Today feels blah. Everything about it. Never mind the hallmark holiday we know as Valentine's Day - it is just a blah day.

Business is OK but not great; I'm tired and need a break; gotta send Andrew more money so he can eat; lost a client for no good reason other than that he's fickle, and we busted our butts for him. Jerk. It is just one of those days.

Then I think about Keith. He's been through a lot more tough stuff than I have lately. I've been calling him up on a regular basis just to make sure he's been hanging in there. But you know, for all he's got going on, I can still hear him smiling through the phone. And if I said let's go for a drink, I'd go pick him up and he'd give me a big hug and tell me all that's good in his world.

Given that I'm predisposed to bouts of melancholy, I wonder where some people get their inner strength. I believe some people are just born with an optimism gene - something apparently missing my my DNA. I wonder at their ability to be up... always smiling, always seeing the bright side of any situation.

Today, I feel like going home, crawling under the covers and getting lost in a mindless afternoon of television.

Now, people often tell me I'm strong. I guess I would have to agree with that, but I can't seem to do it in the same chipper way as those eternal optimists for whom one would never know had a care in the world if one wasn't in that person's inner circle. I'll be miserable, moody and depressed, but I'll get through.

So, to all the "Keiths" in my life - and especially Keith himself - thanks for your ability to help me believe that it's all good, even when it is not. You're all annoying as hell but I'm glad you are in my life. :)

Tomorrow will be a better day!

No comments: